- 500g Cake Flour
- 5m Salt ( 1 tsp )
- 5ml Sugar ( 1 tsp )
- 3ml Cayenne Pepper ( ½ tsp )
- 30ml Chopped Onion ( 2 tbsp)
- 1 tin Sweetcorn Kernels ( 410 g ),drained
- 250 ml Cheddar Cheese ( 1 cup ), grated – reserve about 50 ml for the topping
- 10g Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )
- 60g Margarine
- 180ml Warm Water ( ⅔ cup )
- 2 Large Eggs, beaten
Mix flour, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper together.
- Step 1 – Add the chopped onion, drained kernels and 200 ml grated cheese and mix.
- Step 2 – Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Step 3 – Dissolve the margarine in the warm water and allow to cool. The liquid must rather be too cool than too warm.
- Step 4 – Add the eggs and beat the mixture together
- Step 5 – Add the liquid to the flour mixture and mix until the ingredients are well distributed.
- Step 6 – Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Step 7 – Knock the dough down and place into a well greased cast iron pot. Even the dough out in the pot and sprinkle with the remaining 50 ml of grated cheese.
- Step 8 – Close the lid and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Step 9 – Place the pot next to the fire and arrange the prepared warm coals around the pot. Place 3 – 4 coals on the lid. Should the coals be too warm, move them further away from the pot and remove 1 from the lid. Add again, should the coals get too cold.
- Step 10 – Check the bread from time to time and bake for about 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Step 11 – Allow to stand for 10 minutes and turn out. Wrap or cover the bread in a tea towel, until ready for serving.