- 45 ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 kg oxtail
- 1 onion chopped
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) beef stock
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) good-quality red wine
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) tomato paste
- 3 Robertsons Whole Cloves
- 1 Robertsons Bay Leaf
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Robertsons Thyme
- Robertsons Atlantic Sea Salt
- Robertsons Black Pepper, to taste
- 10 pickling onions, peeled
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
STEP 1 – Heat the oil in a large cast iron potije over hot coals, or in a heavy-based pot on the stove.
STEP 2 – Brown the oxtail, in batches, until golden. Add the onion and sauté until soft.
STEP 3 – Stir in the beef stock, red wine, tomato paste, cloves, bay leaf and thyme. Season to taste with Robertsons Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertsons Black Pepper.
STEP 4 – Simmer over low coals for about 2 to 3 hours, or until the oxtail is tender and about to fall off the bone. If necessary, add more stock.
STEP 5 – During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the onions, celery and carrots.
STEP 6 – Remove the cloves and bay leaf and serve hot with pap, rice, mash or steam bread.